I've had the privilege of connecting with Brandt Redd around education data standards work. This is a video of his presentation at the iNACOL VSS Conference. It is encouraging to see the work supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (and many others) addressing some of the critical success factors for Approaching 100% by 2014 that I wrote about back in 2007, and refined in the 2010-2011 edition of Approaching 100 Percent. Some common themes include:
- assessment AS learning, abundant assessment (and tight feedback loops)
- student motivation and ownership of learning
- learning maps
- teacher as most scarce resource and the need for a structure that takes advantage of abundant resources and advance the teaching profession,
- why the classroom-centric "game of school" is designed for something different than fulfilling today's measures of success, and
- economic concepts that leverage innovation to 'change the game'